CLASS ADVOCATES ARE THE ASSOCIATION'S EYES AND EARS REPORTING BACK TO US ABOUT ISSUES AFFECTING STUDENTS AS THEY ARISE WITHIN THEIR CLASSES, COURSES AND COLLEGES.
These volunteer positions are an essential part of the Association and University feedback system providing criticism and comment and clarification over areas of particular interest or import to students – health, welfare, safety, academic quality, resources for courses and many more.
Class Advocate T-shirts
Class Advocate t-shirts are available from ASA reception, in male and female designs, for just $20 each.
Find a Class Advocate
To find the Class Advocate for your course, sign in to our Members' Menu and select the option under Class Advocates in the Members' Menu.
Benefits of being a Class Advocate
- It is an easy way to meet new people – particularly great for first year students who want to make some new friends
- Increased involvement in the course means a higher chance of succeeding
- You learn and practice skills that will help you in the future
- Gain experience that can be bragged about on your CV when you graduate!
- Contribute to high quality courses and teaching
- End of year award ceremony and party (12th October)
What does being a Class Advocate require?
- A one hour training session
- Semester 1 - March 14th 2018 12pm OR 1pm
- Semester 2 - August 1st 2018 12pm OR 1pm
- Some initiative – do introduce yourself to your classmates and lecturer, be approachable, address issues or report them to ASA in a proactive manner etc
- The amount of time/effort you put into your role as a Class Advocate is ultimately up to you though
Of course there are plenty of opportunities to take the role further if you wish, including advanced training levels and an online fortnightly logbook for your papers (completing entries puts you in the draw for heaps of prizes!).
- Log in to this website with your ASA sign in details (if you have not already joined the ASA you will need to do so using the members menu).
- Once you are logged in, select Class Advocates in the members menu.
- Now select Class Advocates Sign Up in the right hand menu to complete the sign up form.
- The whole process shouldn't take more than 5 - 10 minutes!
- Note: you can only sign up for Internal Albany courses.
Opting in as an ASA Volunteer
When you sign up as a Class Advocate, we will also offer you the opportunity to register on our volunteer database. This will enable us to email you when volunteering opportunities come along. There is no obligation to take part and sometimes you simply won’t be available but if you do have some spare time it’s another great opportunity to meet other people, get involved and have some fun. Go on, do it!!
Class Advocate of the Year
Each year we hold an end of year party to recognise and celebrate our volunteer class advocates. Make sure you come along as there are always plenty of prizes to be won. Class Advocates are presented with certificates and those who have completed extra training are also acknowledged. Advocacy Excellence awards are presented to class advocates who have gone the extra mile. And, each year, we name one advocate as our Advocate of the Year and their name is engraved on the honour board in the student lounge. Recipients of this award are listed below:
- 2018 Philip Kim
- 2017 Allan Ramage
- 2016 Rachael Cox
- 2015 Bronwyn Bruce-Brand