Lecturer of the Year 2022
The students' choice awards for the best of the best lecturers on the Albany campus - winner announced! Dr Patrick Bowman, of the School of Natural Sciences, College of Sciences being the ultimate winner in the 18th year of the LOTY tradition, and ASA's final LOTY event.
114 lecturers were nominated by the students on the Albany campus, once again acknowleding excellence in teaching at Massey. Truly authentic student voice in action!
This year, we were back in person after virtual awards in 2020 and 2021. How cool it was to be able to celebrate together and treat the nominees to a well deserved festive luncheon including a signature LOTY cocktail, with musical entertainment from Massey student, Fidel Pimentel on classical guitar.
Each nominee receives a certificate showing the positive comments that students included with their nominations, a LOTY ribbon and the trademark LOTY feather bookmark
A sample of some of the comments that students submitted when nominating Dr Bowman were:
- Patrick is always so enthusiastic about what he is teaching. Always answers any of our questions to the best of his ability. Is more than happy to go out of his way to help get the best results for his students and makes physics so much fun
- Patrick is amazingly helpful, gets really engaged with teaching and gets everyone in his class excited about and interested in physics
- Absolute legend of a lecturer!
- Allows PHET puns. Also music allowed in lectures/labs
- He is very cool. I would touch an electric fence if he told me to :)
2022 Lecturer of the Year Dr Patrick Bowman
- College of Health: Jack Scanlan
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Dr Chris McMillan
- College of Sciences: Dr Patrick Bowman
- Massey Business School: Professor Sasha Molchanov
2022 Advocacy Acolades
Advocacy Accolades are presented to lecturers who ASA have recognised during the year for going the extra mile.
- The Sir Bob Charles Award: Professor Chris Scogings
- The C.F. Goldie Award: Dr David Belgrave
- The Hangi Award: Jenny Green
- The Kate Edger Award: Dr Patricia Bossons
- The Korimako Award: Dr Phoebe Fletcher
- The Pekapeka Award : Susan Mander
- The Tuatara Award : Associate Professor Richard Fletcher
- The Sir James Wattie Award : Dr Wajiha Shahzad
The ASA Appreciation Award to a general staff member: Vivien Cheah for pastoral support of International students over many years.
Appreciation has flowed in from teaching staff who were nominated by students and invited to the event.
- I really appreciate the nomination and all the work ASA does with these awards.
- Thank you so much for your continued mahi on LOTY each year – receiving this has been a lovely little pick me up for the end of semester! I so appreciate the acknowledgement
- LOTY made my day! It's been such a blah semester for everyone, and students have seemed more than a little deflated (as have staff). I'm thrilled that someone felt moved to do this!
- I will particularly value the certificate with the students' comments, not only because it's nice to get positive feedback, but as a reminder of some of this year's more "distinctive personalities." Students are right to demand excellent teaching, and this sort of acknowledgement helps achieve that.
When you subscribe to the blog, we will send you an e-mail when there are new updates on the site so you wouldn't miss them.